Friday, September 14, 2007

GREAT COMPLINE

GREAT COMPLINE
Translated
By
Father Michel Najim

Great Compline is read on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday, (until Great Tuesday Evening) during the great lent, and on other occasions as directed by the Typicon.
The priest, standing before the Royal Doors, makes three metanias and says:

Priest: Blessed is our God, always, both now and ever, and unto ages of ages.

People: Amen.

Priest: Glory to thee, our God, our hope, glory to Thee.

O heavenly King, Comforter, the Spirit of Truth, everywhere present, and filling all things, treasury of good things, and Giver of life, come and dwell in us, and cleanse us from every stain and save our souls, O Good One.

People: Holy God, Holy Mighty, Holy Immortal, have mercy on us.
Holy God, Holy Mighty, Holy Immortal, have mercy on us.
Holy God, Holy Mighty, Holy Immortal, have mercy on us.

Glory to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit, both now and ever, and unto ages of ages. Amen.

All-Holy Trinity, have mercy on us. Lord, cleanse us from our sins. Master, pardon our iniquities. Holy God, visit and heal our infirmities for Thy name's sake.

Lord, have mercy. Lord, have mercy. Lord, have mercy.

Glory to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit, both now and ever, and unto ages of ages. Amen.

Our Father who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name; thy kingdom come; thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.

Priest: For Thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, both now and ever, and to the ages of ages.

People: Amen. Lord have mercy. (12 times)

Glory to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit, both now and ever, and unto ages of ages. Amen.

Come let us worship and fall down before God our King. (Reverence)
Come let us worship and fall down before Christ, our King and our God. (Reverence)
Come let us worship and fall down before the very Christ, our King and our God. (Reverence)

If we were in the first week of the Great Lent we read Psalm 70 <69>:

Psalm 70 <69>
Make haste, O God, to deliver me! Make haste to help me, O Lord!
Let them be put to shame and confusion who seek after my soul.
let them be turned back and brought to shame who desire to hurt me.
Let them be turned back in shame who say to me, “Aha, aha!”
Let all those who seek after Thee rejoice and be glad in Thee, O God,
and let those who love Thy salvation say continually: “The Lord be magnified!” But I am poor and needy; O God make haste to me!
Thou art my help and my deliverer; O Lord, make no long tarrying.

Otherwise we will read the following Psalms:

PSALM 4

When I called upon Thee, O God of my righteousness, Thou didst hear me! In mine affliction, Thou hast given me relief.
Have compassion on me, and hear my prayer.
How long, O sons of men, will you be slow of heart? Why do you love vanity, and seek after lying?
But know that the Lord has made wonders for his saint; the Lord hears me when I cry unto him.
In your anger, sin not; be penitent on your beds for what you say in your hearts.
Offer sacrifice of righteousness, and put your hope in the Lord. Many say: "Who will show us good things?"
O Lord, Thou hast signed the light of Thy face upon us; Thou hast put gladness in my heart, more than when their corn, and wine and oil abounded.
I shall lay down and sleep in peace;
for Thou alone, O Lord, made me to dwell in hope.


PSALM 6
O Lord, rebuke me not in Thine anger, or discipline me in Thy wrath.
Have mercy on me O Lord, for I am weak.
Heal me, O Lord, for my bones tremble, and my soul also is shaken severely.
And Thou, O Lord- How long?
Turn to me, O Lord, save my soul; deliver me for Thy mercy’s sake.
For in death there is none that is mindful of thee; in Hades, who can give Thee praises?
I am worn out with my mourning, every night, I flood my bed with tears, I drench my couch with my weeping.
My eyes waste away because of grief; I am worn out because of all my enemies.
Depart from me, all you workers of evil, for the Lord has heard the sound of my weeping.
The Lord has heard my supplication; the Lord has accepted my prayer.
All my enemies shall be ashamed and be troubled; let them turn back, and suddenly be put to shame.

Psalm 13 <12>

How long, O LORD? Wilt Thou forget me forever? How long wilt Thou turn Thy face away from me?
How long must I bear pain in my soul, and have sorrow in my heart daily? How long will my enemy be exalted over me?
Look upon me, hear me, O LORD my God; enlighten mine eyes, or I will sleep the sleep of death; and my enemy will say, "I have prevailed against him."
And those who trouble me rejoice when I am shaken.
But I have hoped in Thy mercy.
My heart shall rejoice in Thy salvation.
I will sing to the LORD, because He is benevolent to me, and I will praise the name of the most high Lord.
Look upon, and hear me, O LORD my God; enlighten mine eyes, or I will sleep the sleep of death; and my enemy will say, "I have prevailed against him."

Glory to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit, both now and ever, and unto ages of ages. Amen

Alleluiah, Alleluiah, Alleluiah, Glory to thee, O God. (Thrice with three reverences).

Lord, have mercy. Lord, have mercy. Lord, have mercy.

Glory to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit, both now and ever, and unto ages of ages. Amen

Psalm 25<24>

Unto Thee, O LORD, I lift up my soul.
O my God, in Thee I trust; let me not be put to shame for ever; let not mine enemies laugh at me.
Indeed, let not those who wait on Thee be put to shame; let those be ashamed who without cause act lawlessly.
Show me Thy ways, O LORD; teach me Thy paths.
Lead me in thy truth and teach me, for Thou art the God of my salvation; On Thee have I wait all the day long.
Remember, O LORD, Thy mercy and Thy compassion, For they are from everlasting.
Remember not the sins of my youth, or my transgressions; according to Thy mercy remember me, for Thy goodness sake, O LORD.
Good and upright is the LORD; Therefore He gives the law to sinners in the way.
The humble He guides in justice, and the humble He teaches His way.
All the paths of the LORD are mercy and truth, for those who seek after His covenant and His decrees.
For Thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon my iniquity, for it is great.
Who is the one that fears the LORD? Him shall He teach the way He chooses.
His soul shall dwell among good things, and his descendants shall inherit the earth.
The might of the LORD is with those who fear Him, and He will show them His covenant.
My eyes are ever toward the LORD, For He shall draw my feet out of the snare.
Look upon me, and have mercy on me, For I am lonely and afflicted.
The troubles of my heart have enlarged; Bring me out of my distresses!
Consider my affliction and my pain, and forgive all my sins.
Consider how many are my enemies, and with what hatred they hate me.
Keep my soul, and deliver me; let me not be put to shame, for I have hoped in Thee.
The innocent and upright have cleaved unto me, for I waited on thee O LORD.
Redeem Israel, O God, out of all their troubles!

Psalm 31<30>
In Thee, O LORD, have I hoped; let me not be put to shame in the age to come; rescue me, and deliver me in Thy righteousness.
Incline Thine ear unto me, deliver me speedily; be Thou to me for a protecting God, and a fortress of defense to save me.
For Thou art my strength and my fortress; and for thy name's sake, wilt Thou lead me and guide me.
Thou wilt bring me out of the snare which they have secretly laid for me, for Thou art my defender, O Lord.
Into Thy hands I commit my spirit; Thou hast redeemed me, O LORD God of truth.
Thou hast hated those who regard worthless idols; but I have hoped in the LORD.
I will be glad and rejoice in Thy mercy, for Thou hast considered my affliction; Thou hast delivered my soul of adversities.
And have not delivered me into the hands of the enemies; Thou hast set my feet in a wide place.
Have mercy on me, O LORD, for I am in distress; mine eye wastes away from grief, my soul and my body!
For my life is spent with grief, and my years with sighing; my strength fails because of my misery, and my bones waste away.
I am the scorn of all mine enemies, an horror to my neighbors, and object of dread to my acquaintances; those who see me in the street flee from me.
I am passed out of mind like one who is dead, I am like a broken vessel.
For I hear the slander of many; Fear is on every side; While they take counsel together against me, they scheme to take away my life.
But as for me, I have hoped in Thee, O LORD; I said, "Thou art my God." My lots are in Thy hand;
Deliver me from the hand of my enemies, and from those who persecute me.
Let Thy face shine upon Thy servant; Save me for thy mercies' sake.
Let me not be put to shame, O LORD, for I have called upon Thee; Let the wicked be put to shame; Let them go down to Hades.
Let the lying lips be put to silence, which speak insolent things against the righteous with pride and contempt.
Oh, how great is Thy goodness, which Thou hast laid up for those who fear Thee, and prepared for those who hope in Thee before the children of men!
Thou shalt hide them in the secret place of Thy presence from human plots; Thou shalt hold them safe under Thy shelter From the strife of tongues.
Blessed be the LORD, for He has wondrously shown His mercy in a strong city!
For I said in my alarm, "I am driven far from Thine eyes;” But Thou heard the voice of my supplications when I cried out unto Thee.
Love the LORD, all His saints! the LORD preserves the faithful, and fully repays those who act haughtily. Be strong, and let your heart take courage, all who wait for the LORD.

Psalm 91<90>
He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will abide under the shadow of the God of heaven.
He will say to the LORD, "Thou art my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will hope."
He shall deliver thee from the snare of the hunters, and from the troubling word.
He shall cover thee with His feathers, and under His wings thou shalt have hope.
His truth shall encompass thee with a shield. Thou shalt not be afraid of the terror by night, nor of the arrow that flies by day.
Nor of the thing that walks in darkness, nor of the calamity and the demon of noonday.
A thousand may fall at Thy side, and ten thousand at Thy right hand, but it shall not come near Thee.
Only with Thine eyes shalt Thou look, and see the punishment of the wicked.
For Thou, O LORD art my hope. Thou madest the Most High thy refuge.
No evil shall befall Thee, nor shall any scourge come near Thy tent.
For He shall give His angels charge over Thee, to keep Thee in all thy ways.
In their hands they shall bear Thee up, so that Thou wilt not dash Thy foot against a stone.
Thou shalt tread upon the lion and the adder, the young lion and the serpent thou shalt trample underfoot.
For he has set his hope upon Me, and I will deliver him; I will shelter him, because he has known My name.
He shall call unto Me, and I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble; I will rescue him and honor him.
With long life I will satisfy him, and show him My salvation.

Glory to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit, both now and ever, and unto ages of ages. Amen

Alleluiah, Alleluiah, Alleluiah, Glory to Thee, O God (Thrice).

Lord, have mercy. Lord, have mercy. Lord, have mercy.

Glory to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit, both now and ever, and unto ages of ages. Amen

Outside the Great Lent, the following Verses (Stichoi) are read. During the Great Lent they are chanted alternately by each choir, slowly, and with a great voice.
Tone six
1- God is with us, know ye nations, and be vanquished, for God is with us.
2-Hearken ye unto the ends of the earth, for God is with us.
3- Ye mighty ones, be vanquished. for God is with us.
4-For though ye should prevail, yet again shall ye be vanquished, for God is with us.
5- And every counsel ye shall take, the Lord shall bring to naught, for God is with us.
6- And every word ye speak, will not abide in you, for God is with us.
7-We will not fear your terror and we will not be in dread, for God is with us.
8-The Lord our God, him we shall regard as holy, and He will be our fear, for God is with us.
9- And as I put my trust in Him, He will be my sanctification, for God is with us.
10- I will hope on Him, and I will be saved by Him, for God is with us.
11-Behold, I and the children whom the Lord has given me, for God is with us.
12- The people who walked in darkness, have seen a great light, for God is with us.
13- We who lived in a land and shadow of death, on us light has shined, for God is with us.
14- For a child has been born for us, a son given unto us, for God is with us.
15- Government rests upon his shoulders, for God is with us.
16- There is no limit for his peace, for God is with us.
17- And he is named Angel of the great Counsel, for God is with us.
18- Wonderful Counselor, for God is with us.
19- Mighty God, supreme power, prince of peace, for God is with us.
20- Father of the age to come, for God is with us.

Glory to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit, for God is with us.

Both now and ever and unto ages of ages, Amen, for God is with us.
Both now and ever, and unto ages of ages, Amen, for God is with us.
God is with us, know ye nations, and be vanquished, for God is with us.

And immediately we read the following Troparia.

Having passed this day, I thank Thee, O Lord; and ask Thee that the evening and the night be without sin; Grant this to me, O Savior, and save me.

Glory to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit,

Having passed this day, I glorify Thee, O Master; and ask Thee, that this evening and the night be without stumbling, Grant this to me, O Savior, and save me.

Both now and ever and unto ages of ages, Amen. Both now and ever, and unto ages of ages, Amen

Having passed this day, I sing praises to Thee, O holy One; and I ask Thee that the evening, and the night, be safe from the snares of adversaries, Grant this to me, O Savior, and save me.

Then the two choirs sing together in Tone Six.

1-The bodiless nature of the cherubim glorify Thee in unceasing hymns.
2-And the seraphim, the six winged angels exceedingly exalt Thee in unceasing voices.
3- And all the hosts of angels praise Thee with thrice-holy hymns.
4-For Thou art before all, O Father; and Thy Son, who, like Thee, is without beginning.
5- And as Thou bearest the Spirit of life, equal in honor to Thee, thou made manifest the indivisible Trinity.
6- O Virgin, most holy Mother of God, and ye the eyewitnesses of the Word and his ministers.
7- All the choirs of the Prophets and Martyrs, since Thine is the life immortal.
8-Intercede unceasingly for us all; for we are all in distress.
9-That, saved from the error of the evil one, we may cry with the angels' hymn.
10-Holy! Holy! Holy! O thrice holy Lord. Have mercy upon us and save us. Amen.


Then immediately we recite the creed:
I believe in one God, the Father Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth, and of all things visible and invisible; And in one Lord, Jesus Christ, the Son of God, the Only-begotten, Begotten of the Father before all worlds, Light of Light, Very God of Very God, Begotten, not made; of one essence with the Father, by whom all things were made: Who for us men and for our salvation came down from heaven, and was incarnate of the Holy Spirit and the Virgin Mary, and became man; And was crucified also for us under Pontius Pilate, and suffered and was buried; And the third day He rose, according to the Scriptures; And ascended into heaven, and sitteth at the right hand of the Father; And He shall come again with glory to judge the living and the dead, whose Kingdom shall have no end.
And I believe in the Holy Spirit, the Lord, and Giver of Life, who proceedeth from the Father, who with the Father and the Son together is worshiped and glorified, who spoke by the Prophets;
And I believe in One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church.
I acknowledge one Baptism for the remission of sins.
I look for the Resurrection of the dead, And the life of the world to come. Amen.
And the following Stichoi, the first of which is sung three times and the rest twice, except the last one which is sung only once. The second choir leads the chanting in Tone Six.



1- O Most holy Lady Theotokos, intercede for us sinners (Thrice).
2- All ye heavenly powers, angels and archangels, intercede for us sinners (Twice).
3- O Saint John, Prophet, Forerunner and Baptist of our Lord Jesus Christ, intercede for us sinners (Twice).
4- O Glorious saints, Apostles, Prophets, Martyrs, and all saints, intercede for us sinners (Twice).
5- O holy ones, and the God-bearing Fathers; O shepherds and teachers of the universe, intercede for us sinners (Twice).
6- O divine, invincible and indestructible power of the precious and life giving Cross, forsake us not sinners (Twice).
7- O God, forgive us sinners (Thrice).
8- And have mercy upon us (Once).

Then:

People: Holy God, Holy Mighty, Holy Immortal, have mercy on us.
Holy God, Holy Mighty, Holy Immortal, have mercy on us.
Holy God, Holy Mighty, Holy Immortal, have mercy on us.

Glory to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit, both now and ever, and unto ages of ages. Amen.

All-Holy Trinity, have mercy on us. Lord, cleanse us from our sins. Master, pardon our iniquities. Holy God, visit and heal our infirmities for Thy name's sake.

Lord, have mercy. Lord, have mercy. Lord, have mercy.

Glory to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit, both now and ever, and unto ages of ages. Amen.

Our Father who art in heaven, hallowed be Thy name; Thy kingdom come; Thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.

Priest: For Thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, both now and ever, and to the ages of ages.

People: Amen. Amen.

On feast days we chant the troparion of the feast, otherwise the following Troparia are inotned in Second Tone. On Mondays and Wednesdays.

O Christ God, enlighten my eyes, lest I will sleep the sleep of death and my enemy will say, "I have prevailed against him."

Glory to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit,

O God, be the Defender of my soul; for "I am stepping among snares" . Rescue me from them and save me, O good One, since Thou art the Lover of mankind.

Both now and ever, and unto ages of ages, Amen.

Since we have no more boldness towards God, for the multitude of our sins, implore him who was born of Thee, O virgin Theotokos; for the prayers of the Mother avail much to win the Master's favor. O most venerable one, turn not away from the pleading of sinners; for he who willed to suffer for our sins is merciful and able to save us.

Other Troparia in Tone Eight On Tuesdays and Thursdays.
O Lord, Thou knowest the sleepless of my invisible enemies, and the weakness of my wretched body, O my Creator. Wherefore, into Thy hands I commend my spirit. Shelter me with the wings of Thy goodness, or I will sleep the sleep of death. Enlighten my spiritual eyes with the delight of Thy divine words, and wake me at the proper time for Thy glorification, since Thou alone art good and the Lover of mankind.

verse: Look upon me and have mercy on me, as Thou had mercy in Thy judgment upon those who love Thy name.

How awesome is Thy judgment, O Lord, when the angels are present, all men assembled, the books opened, works uncovered, and thoughts searched. What judgment then will be mine, who am conceived in iniquities? Who shall extinguish the flames of fire for me? Who shall lighten my darkness if Thou, O Lord, hast not mercy on me, since Thou art the Lover of mankind?

Glory to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit,

Give me tears, O God, as Thou formerly gavest the sinful woman. Make me worthy to wash Thy feet which delivered me from the way of error. Grant that I may offer Thee, as a fragrant ointment, a pure life renewed by repentance, so that I also, may hear Thy good voice: "Thy faith has saved thee; go in peace" .

Both now and ever, and unto ages of ages, Amen.

O Theotokos, because of my confident hope in Thee, I will be saved; and because I have obtained thy help, O most pure one, I shall not fear, I shall pursue my enemies and drive them away, for I wear thy protection as a breastplate, and cry to thy most powerful help Save me, O Lady, by thine intercession, and wake me from my dark slumber, so that I may glorify thee by the might of the Son of God, made flesh of Thee.
Then:
Lord, have mercy (forty times)
Glory to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit, Both now and ever, and unto ages of ages, Amen.

More honorable than the Cherubim and beyond compare more glorious than the Seraphim; remaining Virgin, thou gavest birth to God the Word, and art truly Theotokos, we magnify thee.

And the Priest says:
Through the prayers of our Holy Fathers, Lord Jesus Christ our God, have mercy on us and save us.

People: Amen.

The Following Prayer By Basil The Great

O LORD, O Lord, who hast delivered us from every "arrow that flies by day, save us of every thing that walks in darkness, and accept the "lifting up of our hands as an evening sacrifice." Consider us worthy to pass the period of night without blame or temptation. Deliver us from every trouble and fear that comes to us of the devil. Grant repentance to our souls and diligence to our minds to meditate on Thy just and awesome judgment. Nail down our flesh with thy fear, and mortify our earthly passions, so that in the stillness of the night we may rejoice in the contemplation of Thy judgments. Drive from us every improper imagination and harmful passion and raise us in time of prayer, strengthened in the Faith and advancing in Thy commandments, by the good will and goodness of Thine only begotten Son, with whom Thou art blessed, together with Thy good and most Holy and life-giving Spirit, both now and ever, and unto ages of ages.

People: Amen. Come let us worship and fall down before God our King. (Reverence)
Come let us worship and fall down before Christ, our King and our God. (Reverence)
Come let us worship and fall down before the very Christ, our King and our God. (Reverence)
PSALM 51<50>
Have mercy on me, O God, according to thy great mercy, according to the multitude of thy compassions,
blot out my transgressions. Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin.
For I acknowledge my transgressions, and my sin is ever before me.
Against Thee only have I sinned, and done what is evil in thy sight, so that Thou art justified in Thy sentences, and prevailest when Thou passest judgment.
For indeed, I was conceived in iniquities, and in sins did my mother conceive me.
For behold: Thou lovest truth, Thou hast made known to me the secret and hidden things of thy wisdom.
Sprinkle me with hyssop, and I shall be clean, wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.
Let me hear joy and gladness, then the afflicted bones shall rejoice.
Turn away Thy face from my sins, and blot out all my iniquities.
Create in me a clean heart, O God, and put a right Spirit within me.
Cast me not away from Thy presence, and take not Thine Holy Spirit from me.
Restore to me the joy of Thy salvation, and uphold me with a directing spirit.
Then I will teach transgressors Thy ways, and sinners will return to Thee.
Deliver me from bloodshed, O God,
the God of my salvation, and my tongue will joyfully sing aloud of Thy righteousness.
O Lord, open my lips; and my mouth will declare Thy praise;
for if Thou hadst delight in sacrifice, I would have given it; but Thou wouldst not be pleased by burnt offering.
The sacrifice to God is a broken spirit: a broken and contrite heart, O God, Thou wilt not despise.
Do good in thy good pleasure to Zion, and let the walls of Jerusalem be built; then Thou wilt delight in a sacrifice of righteousness, in offerings and whole burnt offerings; Then they will offer bulls upon Thine altar.

Psalm 102 <101>

Hear my prayer, O LORD, and let my cry come unto Thee.
Turn not Thy face away from me in the day of my distress; Incline Thine ear unto me.
Answer me speedily in the day that I call.
For my days are passing away like smoke, and my bones are burned like a firewood.
My heart is stricken and withered like grass, so that I forgot to eat my bread.
Because of the sound of my groaning my bones cling to my skin.
I am like a pelican of the wilderness; I am like an owl in a ruined house.
I lie awake, and am like a lonely sparrow on the housetop.
My enemies reproached me all day long. Those who deride me swear an oath against me.
For I have eaten ashes like bread, and mingled my drink with weeping, because of Thine indignation and wrath; For Thou hast lifted me up and cast me down.
My days are like a shadow that draws to a close, and I wither away like grass.
But Thou, O LORD, shalt endure forever, and Thy remembrance is unto all generations.
Thou wilt arise and have pity on Zion; For its time to have compassion on her, Yea, the appointed time has come.
For Thy servants take pleasure in her stones, and have pity on its dust.
So the nations shall fear Thy name, and all the kings of the earth Thy glory.
For the LORD shall build up Zion; He shall appear in His glory.
He shall regard the prayer of the destitute, and shall not despise their prayer.
This will be recorded for the generation to come, That a people yet to be born shall praise the LORD.
For He looked down from the height of His sanctuary; From heaven the LORD viewed the earth,
To hear the groaning of the prisoner, to set free the children of those doomed to death,
To declare the name of the LORD in Zion, and His praise in Jerusalem,
When peoples gather together, and the kings, to worship the LORD.
He has chosen him in the way of his strength; He has declared unto me the fewness of my days.
Take me not away at the half of my days; Thine years endure throughout all generations.
In the beginning of Lord, Thou laid the foundation of the earth, and the heavens are the work of Thy hands.
They will perish, but Thou wilt endure; they will all wear out like a garment,
Like a cloak Thou wilt change them, and they will be changed. But Thou art the same, and Thine years will have no end.
The children of Thy servants shall have their dwelling, and their offspring will be guided aright for ever.

THE PRAYER OF MANASSEH

O Lord Almighty, God of our fathers, of Abraham and Isaac and Jacob and of their righteous offspring; Who created heaven and earth with all their order; Who bound the sea by Thy word of command, Who confined the deep and sealed it with Thine awesome and glorious name; at whom all things shudder, and tremble with fear before Thy power, for Thy glorious splendor cannot be borne, and the wrath of Thy threat to sinners is unendurable; yet immeasurable and unsearchable is Thy promised mercy, for Thou art the Lord Most High, the compassionate, long suffering, and very merciful, and Thou dost repent at the evils of men. O Lord, according to Thy great goodness Thou hast promised repentance and forgiveness to those who have sinned against Thee, and in the multitude of Thy mercies Thou hast appointed repentance for sinners, so that they may be saved. Therefore Thou, O Lord, God of Hosts, hast not appointed repentance for the righteous, for Abraham and Isaac and Jacob, who did not sin against Thee, but Thou hast appointed repentance for me, who am a sinner. For the sins I have committed are more in number than the sands of the sea; my transgressions are multiplied, O Lord, they are multiplied! I am not worthy to look up and see the height of heaven because of the multitude of my iniquities. I am weighted down with many iron fetters, so that I can not raise my head and I have no relief; for I have provoked Thy wrath and have done what is evil in Thy sight, not doing Thy will nor keeping Thy commandments. And now I bend the knee of my heart, for Thy kindness. imploring Thee, O Lord, I have sinned, I have sinned, and I acknowledge my transgressions. I earnestly implore Thee, forgive me, O Lord, forgive me, destroy me not with my transgressions. Be not angry with me forever, or store up evil for me; condemn me not to the depths of the earth. For Thou art the God, even the God of those who repent, and in me Thou wilt manifest Thy goodness; for, unworthy as I am, Thou wilt save me according to Thy great mercy, and I will praise Thee continually all the days of my life. For all the hosts of heaven sing Thy praise, and Thine is the glory unto ages of ages.


People: Amen.

Holy God, Holy Mighty, Holy Immortal, have mercy on us.
Holy God, Holy Mighty, Holy Immortal, have mercy on us.
Holy God, Holy Mighty, Holy Immortal, have mercy on us.

Glory to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit, both now and ever, and unto ages of ages. Amen.

All-Holy Trinity, have mercy on us. Lord, cleanse us from our sins. Master, pardon our iniquities. Holy God, visit and heal our infirmities for Thy name's sake.

Lord, have mercy. Lord, have mercy. Lord, have mercy.

Glory to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit, both now and ever, and unto ages of ages. Amen.

Our Father who art in heaven, hallowed be Thy name; Thy kingdom come; Thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.

Priest: For Thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, both now and ever, and to the ages of ages.

People: Amen. Amen.

The two choirs alternately sing the following Troparia not rapidly, but slowly.

Tone six

Have mercy on us, O Lord, have mercy on us, for, deprived of all defense, we, sinners, offer this supplication unto Thee, as Master: Have mercy on us.

Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit,

Have mercy on us, O Lord, for "in Thee we trust," be not exceedingly angry with us, nor remember our iniquities, but look favorably upon us even now, as the compassionate one, and deliver us from our enemies; for Thou art our God, and we are Thy people; we are all the works of Thy hands, and upon Thy name have we called.

Both now and ever, and unto ages of ages. Amen.

Open to us the door of compassion, O Blessed Theotokos; for hoping in thee, we will not fail. Through thee we may be delivered from adversities, for thou art the salvation of the Christian race.
Then:
Lord, have mercy (forty times)

Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit, Both now and ever, and unto ages of ages. Amen.

More honorable than the Cherubim and beyond compare more glorious than the Seraphim; remaining Virgin, thou gavest birth to God the Word, we magnify Thee.

And the Priest says:
Through the prayers of our Holy Fathers, Lord Jesus Christ our God, have mercy on us, and save us.

People: Amen.


AND THIS PRAYER OF MARDARIUS

O Master God, the Father Almighty; O Lord the only-begotten Son, Jesus Christ; and Thou, O Holy Spirit; one Godhead, one might, have mercy on me a sinner, and save me, Thine unworthy servant, by judgments known to Thee; for Thou art blessed unto ages of ages, Amen.
Come let us worship and fall down before God our King. (Reverence)
Come let us worship and fall down before Christ, our King and our God. (Reverence)
Come let us worship and fall down before the very Christ, our King and our God. (Reverence)

Psalm 70 <69>
Make haste, O God, to deliver me! Make haste to help me, O Lord!
Let them be put to shame and confusion who seek after my soul.
let them be turned back and brought to shame who desire to hurt me.
Let them be turned back in shame who say to me, “Aha, aha!”
Let all those who seek after Thee rejoice and be glad in Thee, O God,
and let those who love Thy salvation say continually: “The Lord be magnified!” But I am poor and needy; O God make haste to me!
Thou art my help and my deliverer; O Lord, make no long tarrying.

Psalm 143 <142>
Hear my prayer, O Lord; give ear to my supplications in thy faithfulness; answer me in thy righteousness.
Enter not into judgment with Thy servant, for no one living is righteous before Thee.
For the enemy has persecuted my soul, crushing my life to the ground, making me sit in darkness like those who have been long dead.
Therefore, my spirit was grieved within me; my heart within me was troubled.
I remembered the days of old, I meditated on all thy deeds, I meditated on the works of Thy hands.
I stretched out my hands to thee; my soul thirsts for thee like a dry land.
Answer me quickly, O Lord; my spirit has failed.
Turn not thy face away from me, or I shall be like those who go down to the pit.
Let me hear of thy mercy in the morning, for in Thee I have put my hope.
Teach me the way I should go, for to thee have I lifted up my soul.
Save me, O Lord, from my enemies; I have fled to thee for refuge. Teach me to do Thy will, for Thou art my God.
Let your good Spirit lead me in a straight path.
For Thy name’s sake, O Lord, give life to me.
In Thy righteousness, bring my soul out of affliction. In Thy mercy, destroy my enemies;
And bring to naught all my adversaries;
for I am Thy servant.

THE DOXOLOGY

Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will among men.

We hymn Thee, we bless Thee, we worship Thee, we glorify Thee, we give thanks unto Thee for Thy great glory.

O Lord King, heavenly God, Father Almighty; O Lord, the only-begotten Son, Jesus Christ; and the Holy Spirit.

O Lord God, Lamb of God, Son of the Father, who takest away the sin of the world, have mercy on us, Thou that takest away the sins of the world.

Receive our prayer, Thou that sittest at the right hand of the Father, and have mercy on us.

For Thou only art holy, Thou only art the Lord, O Jesus Christ, to the glory of God the Father. Amen.

Every evening will I bless Thee, and I will praise Thy name forever; yea, forever and ever.

O Lord, Thou hast been our refuge from generation to generation. I said: Lord, be merciful unto me; heal my soul, for I have sinned against Thee.

Lord, I have fled unto Thee; teach me to do Thy will, for Thou art my God.

For Thou art the source of life; in Thy light shall we see light.

O continue Thy mercy unto them that know Thee.

Vouchsafe, O Lord, to keep us this night without sin.

Blessed art Thou, O Lord, the God of our fathers, and praised and glorified is Thy name forever. Amen.

Let Thy mercy be upon us, O Lord, even as we have set our hope on Thee.

Blessed art Thou, O Lord: teach me Thy statutes.

Blessed art Thou, O Master: make me to understand Thy statutes.

Blessed art Thou, O Holy One: enlighten me by Thy statutes.

O Lord, Thy mercy endures for ever; forsake not the hands of Thy hands.

To Thee belongs praise, to Thee belongs song, to Thee belongs glory, to the Father and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit. Both now and ever, and unto ages of ages. Amen.

Here may be said the Canon of the day or of the Mother of God.

People: Holy God, Holy Mighty, Holy Immortal, have mercy on us.
Holy God, Holy Mighty, Holy Immortal, have mercy on us.
Holy God, Holy Mighty, Holy Immortal, have mercy on us.

Glory to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit, both now and ever, and unto ages of ages. Amen.

All-Holy Trinity, have mercy on us. Lord, cleanse us from our sins. Master, pardon our iniquities. Holy God, visit and heal our infirmities for Thy name's sake.

Lord, have mercy. Lord, have mercy. Lord, have mercy.

Glory to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit, both now and ever, and unto ages of ages. Amen.

Our Father who art in heaven, hallowed be Thy name; Thy kingdom come; Thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.

Priest: For Thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, both now and ever, and to the ages of ages.

People: Amen.

Then Choir/People alternate the following verses of Psalm 150 and its antiphon:

In the Sixth tone

O Lord of Hosts, be with us, for in afflictions we have no other helper but Thee; Lord of hosts, have mercy on us!

Verse 1: Praise God in His sanctuary; praise Him in His firmament of His power.

O Lord of Hosts, be with us, for we have no other help in afflictions but Thee; O Lord of hosts, have mercy on us!

Verse 2: Praise him for his mighty deeds; praise him according to his surpassing greatness!

O Lord of Hosts, be with us, for we have no other help in afflictions but Thee; O Lord of hosts, have mercy on us!

Verse 3: Praise him with trumpet sound; praise him with lute and harp!

O Lord of Hosts, be with us, for we have no other help in afflictions but Thee; O Lord of hosts, have mercy on us!

Verse 4: Praise him with tambourine and dance; Praise him with strings and pipe!

O Lord of Hosts, be with us, for we have no other help in afflictions but Thee; O Lord of hosts, have mercy on us!

Verse 5: Praise him with clanging cymbals; praise him with clashing cymbals! let every thing that has breath praise the Lord!

O Lord of Hosts, be with us, for we have no other help in afflictions but Thee; O Lord of hosts, have mercy on us!

Right Choir\ Praise God in His sanctuary!

Left Choir\ praise Him in His firmament of His power!

Both Choirs/all the congregation very solemnly:

O Lord of Hosts, be with us, for we have no other help in afflictions but Thee; O Lord of hosts, have mercy on us!

Glory to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit,

O Lord, were not Thy saints to intercede for us and Thy goodness to show compassion upon us, how we would dare to sing praises to Thee, O Savior, whom the angels unceasingly praise? O Thou that knowest our hearts, have compassion on our souls.

Both now and ever and unto ages of ages.

Great are the multitudes of my transgressions, O Theotokos. In thee, I take refuge, O pure one, and implore salvation. Visit my ailing soul, and intercede with thy son and our God, that he may give me forgiveness of the grievous deeds I have done, O alone blessed one.

The first Choir chants in Second Tone,

O all-holy Theotokos, forsake me not as long as I live: entrust me not to any human protection, but do thyself help me and have mercy on me.

And the Second Choir,

To thee I entrust all my hope, O mother of God, keep me under thy protection.

Then:
Lord, have mercy (forty times)

Thou who at all times and at every hour in heaven and on earth art worshipped and glorified, O Christ God, Who art long-suffering, plenteous in mercy, and most compassionate, Who lovest the righteous, and have mercy on sinners, Who callest all to salvation through the promise of the good things to come: receive, O Lord, our prayers at this hour, and guide our life to Thy commandments. Sanctify our souls, make chaste our bodies, correct our thoughts, purify our intentions, and deliver us from all sorrow, evil and pain. Surround us with Thine holy angels, so that guided and guarded by their host, we may attain to the unity of the faith and the full knowledge of Thine unapproachable glory. For blessed art Thou unto ages of Ages. Amen"

Then:

Lord, have mercy (three times)

Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit, Both now and ever, and unto ages of ages. Amen.

More honorable than the Cherubim and beyond compare more glorious than the Seraphim; remaining Virgin, thou gavest birth to God the Word, and art truly Theotokos, we magnify thee.

Father, give the blessing, in the name of the Lord.

Priest: May God be gracious unto us and bless us. May He make His face shine upon us, and have mercy on us.



Prayer of St. Ephraim the Syrian

O Lord and Master of my life, take from me the Spirit of sloth, curiosity , lust of power, and idle talk.
(prostration).
But give to me Thy servant the spirit of chastity , humility, patience and love. (prostration).
Yes, O Lord and King, grant me to see my own sins and not to condemn my brother, for thou art blessed unto ages of ages. Amen. (prostration).


People: Holy God, Holy Mighty, Holy Immortal, have mercy on us.
Holy God, Holy Mighty, Holy Immortal, have mercy on us.
Holy God, Holy Mighty, Holy Immortal, have mercy on us.

Glory to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit, both now and ever, and unto ages of ages. Amen.

All-Holy Trinity, have mercy on us. Lord, cleanse us from our sins. Master, pardon our iniquities. Holy God, visit and heal our infirmities for Thy name's sake.

Lord, have mercy. Lord, have mercy. Lord, have mercy.

Glory to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit, both now and ever, and unto ages of ages. Amen.

Our Father who art in heaven, hallowed be Thy name; Thy kingdom come; Thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.

Priest: For Thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, both now and ever, and to the ages of ages.

People: Amen. Lord have mercy. (12 times)


Then the first Chanter says the prayer of Paul the cenobite, a monk of the monastery of the benefefactress before the icon of the Theotokos.

O pure Lady, bride of God, chaste virgin, spotless, blameless and undefiled, who by thy wondrous birth-giving united God the Word to mankind, and joined our fallen nature with and the heavenly things. Thou only art the hope of the hopeless, help of the oppressed, ready protection of those who flee to thee, and refuge of all Christians: despise me not who am a wretched sinner, who have defiled myself with shameful thoughts, words and deeds, and in my indolent thinking have become a slave to the pleasures of life. Since thou art the Mother of God, who is the Lover of mankind, have compassion in thy kindness on me a sinner and a prodigal son; accept this prayer from my impure lips, and, with thy maternal favor, implore thy Son, my Lord and my God, that He may open unto me his loving kindness, forgive my countless sins, convert me to true repentance, and make me faithful doer of his commands. And as thou art gracious, compassionate, and lover of goodness be my constant companion: in this present life, be with me as an ardent helper and protector to turn away the assaults of my enemies and to guide me unto salvation; at the hour of my death, surround my wretched soul and drive away the dreadful sight of the wicked devils; on the awesome day of judgment, deliver me from eternal punishment and make me an heir of thy Son's glory, O Holy Theotokos, my Lady, through the grace and the love for mankind of thy Son our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To Him and to his eternal Father and to his all holy, good and life creating Spirit is due all glory, honor and worship, both now and ever and unto ages of ages,

People: Amen.




Then the second Chanter says the prayer of the Monk Antiochtus of Pandectis before the icon of our Lord Jesus Christ:


Now that we go to sleep, grant us, O Master, the repose of our soul and body. Preserve us against the dark slumber of sin and against any nightly sensual pleasure of the night; quiet the assaults of our passions, arrest the fiery darts that insidiously thrown at us; still the rebellions of our flesh and calm all earthly and worldly thought within us. Grant us, Lord, a watchful mind, chaste thought, a sober heart, a gentle sleep free from evil phantasies; at the hour of prayer, raise us up, strong in the practice of thy commands and ever mindful of Thy judgments. Grant us to sing thy glory throughout the night; to praise, bless and glorify Thine all honorable and majestic name, of the Father, and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, both now and ever and unto ages of ages,


People: Amen.

The first Chanter

O most glorious, ever virgin and blessed Theotokos, commend our prayers to thy Son, our God, and entreat Him to save through thee our souls.

The second Chanter

The Father is my hope, the Son my refuge, the Holy Spirit my protection: O all holy Trinity, glory to Thee!

The first Chanter

In thee I place all my hope, O Mother of God; keep me under thy protection.

In the first week of the Great Lent the priest reads from the Royal Doors the Gospel readings of the day.

And the priest imparts the blessing, saying:

Priest: Peace be to all!

People: And with thy spirit!

Priest/Deacon: Let us bow our heads to the Lord.

People: To Thee, O Lord!

While the people bow, their beads, the priest says aloud:

O Most Merciful Master, Lord Jesus Christ our God, through the intercessions of His all pure, all-blameless holy Mother, by the might of Thy precious and life giving Cross; by the protection of the honorable bodiless powers of heaven, at the supplication of the honorable and glorious prophet, Forerunner and Baptist John, of the holy, glorious, all-blessed Apostles; of the holy, glorious, and right-victorious Martyrs; of our venerable and God bearing Fathers; of the holy and glorious ancestors of God, Joachim and Anna, and of all Thy saints: Make our supplications acceptable to Thee. Grant the forgiveness of our sins. Protect us under the shelter of Thy wings. Drive far from us all enemies and foes. Preserve our lives in peace. O Lord, have mercy on us and upon Thy world, and save our souls, for Thou art merciful, O God, and lover of mankind.

The priest asks the congregation to forgive him, and to pray for him :

Priest: Bless me, fathers, and forgive me, holy brethren, for I am a sinner.

People: May God forgive you, O holy father!
Glory to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit, both now and ever, and to the ages of ages. Amen. Lord have mercy. (3 times)

Holy Father, Bless.

Priest: Let us pray for the peace of the world.

People: Lord, have mercy!

Priest: For all Orthodox and Pious Christians,

People: Lord, have mercy!

Priest: For our Father and Metropolitan N. and Father and Bishop N, and all our brethren in Christ.

People: Lord, have mercy!

Priest: For those who are away from us, our parents and our brethren.

People: Lord, have mercy!

Priest: For those who hate us and those who love us.

People: Lord, have mercy!

Priest: For those who are kind to us and minister unto us.

People: Lord, have mercy!

Priest: For those who have asked us, unworthy as we are, to pray for them.

People: Lord, have mercy!

Priest: For the release of captives.

People: Lord, have mercy!

Priest: For the travelers by sea, air and land.

People: Lord, have mercy!

Priest: For those afflicted with sickness.

People: Lord, have mercy!

Priest: Let us pray also for abundance of the fruits of the earth.

People: Lord, have mercy!

Priest: For all our parents and brethren departed from this life, for those who rest in this place and in every other place. Let us pray also for them.

People: Lord, have mercy! (Three times).

After they have asked forgiveness from each other the priest says the following prayer:

O LORD, forgive those who hate us and treat us unjustly, be generous to those who do good to us, and grant our parents and our household all the means of salvation and eternal life; visit those who are sick and grant them health; direct those who are at sea; be the companion of those who travel by land and air; grant forgiveness of their sins to those who serve us and to those who are merciful to us; in the greatness of Thy compassion, have mercy on those who ask us, unworthy as we are, to pray for them. Remember, O Lord, our fathers and brethren departed, and grant them repose where the light of Thy face will direct them. O Lord, remember our brethren who are in captivity: preserve them against any harm. Remember those who bear fruit to Thy churches: fulfill their request of salvation and eternal life. O Lord, remember us wretched servants and unworthy sinners: enlighten our minds with Thy knowledge, and lead us in the ways of Thy commandments, through the intercession of Thy wholly pure mother, our Lady, the Theotokos and ever virgin Mary, and of all Thy Saints, for Thou art blessed unto ages of ages, Amen.
ON MONDAY AND WEDNESDAY, SECOND TONE
O good one, thou protectest those who with faith take refuge under thy strong hand. For we, the oppressed sinners, have no other mediation in afflictions and perils but thee, O Mother of the Most High. Therefore, we fall down before thee. Rescue thy servants from every tribulation.
ON TUESDAY AND THURSDAY, FIRST TONE
O Christ, when the virgin saw Thine unjust slaughter she cried to Thee in grief. O Most Sweet Child, how is it that Thou diest unjustly? How art Thou suspended on a tree, Thou who hast suspended all the earth upon the waters? O Most merciful Benefactor, do not leave me alone, I am Thy Mother and Handmaid.
Priest: Through the prayers of our Fathers, Lord Jesus Christ our God, have mercy on us and save us.

People: Amen.